one girl's journey

getting to the part about happily ever after...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

getting layers in tulle and chiffon flowers

It is raining pretty hard here, although my mom just texted me pictures of the snow up north (only an hour north of here; they have lots of snow on the ground and its still coming down like crazy...)


So, anyway, puppy and I are just chillin' inside cleaning  and sewing today. I might get on WoW in a bit, but first, I have to post my 1st successful  tulle and chiffon flower.



Okay, so here is how to make it:

1. Start with 3 colors of fabric. I used light blue tulle, neon blue tulle, and sky blue chiffon.  I cut out about 15 flower shapes from the light tulle, 12 from the darker tulle and 8 from the chiffon.

2. For the bottom layer, I paired 2 light tulle with one dark tulle and turned them a bit so the petals didn't line up, then sewed them together.

3. After that, I kept pairing up groups of 2 cutouts in random colors. I stacked them, then twisted every opposite petal so the bottom cutout interwove with the top cutout. This makes your flower look more 3-d.

4. Keep layering, keep twisting. Occasionally, I ran the needle and thread through from the side of the flower to pull more petals upward.

5. The top layer is 2 dark tulle cutouts, which I twisted all the petals on the bottom so they stuck up between the petals on the top layer and sewed some beads into place under them. I then sewed 10 beads into a sphere in the middle of the flower.

6. I realize it is kind of hard to understand these instructions, basically you want to keep twisting and sewing in random places to ensure your petals don't just sit on top of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment